The Book in Three Sentences
- You can divide your life neatly into two parts: before turning pro and after.
- All you have to do to turn pro is decide.
- When you turn pro, life gets easier.
The Five Big Ideas
- “Do you remember where you were on 9/11? You’ll remember where you were when you turn pro.”
- When we’re afraid to embrace our true calling, we pursue a shadow calling instead. “
- The question we need to ask of a shadow career or an addiction is the same question the psychotherapist asks of a dream. ‘What is our unconscious trying to tell us?’”
- “The difference between an amateur and a professional is in their habits. An amateur has amateur habits. A professional has professional habits.”
- “Turning pro is like kicking a drug habit or stopping drinking. It’s a decision, a decision to which we must re-commit every day.”